Saturday, November 27, 2010

November 27, 2010

Last night a woman came up to me and said that she has never spent so much time checking out another woman's breasts. That's Miss November for you. Lately she's been getting a lot of attention and in return so have I. Spent yesterday interviewing for an article to come out on Wednesday in the Seven Days. (www.7dvt.com). Today, I was jumping off my bottom step with the hopes of capturing an action shot to accompany the article, there is something about movement that makes my wearable art come alive. The movement some how compliments the stitch work. This is something I need to think about more before I go on writing about it.

Anyways, back to attention. I think I have had the view of myself as a very private person. My art says what I usually do not, which makes this specific project interesting. As more people take notice, I am being forced to own my identity. What I mean by this is that I find myself gaining a confidene that is usually stored in the reserves of my being. A kind of confidence reserved for art openings and public speaking, but now it is coming out every time some one says "what a nice dress you are wearing.". It is the kind of confidence that is making me introduce myself and jump into a spiel about The Dress That Makes The Woman. I even have a business card that directs people to this blog and my website. I find a simple kind of irony in the fact that I am making a person to person connection about something so tactile, ie. the dress, and then offering a very detached way to follow it's / my progress.

Up next : a list of concepts, ideas and philosophical perspectives that this project has started to develop.

1 comment:

  1. Wylie,
    It's great and all that Vermont gets to see you and your dress, but before the months go on maybe you can become your own traveling gallery. To New York, Boston, rent out a store front in Northampton and display yourself with all of the blog information. Have a streetside fashion show, the possibilities are endless....since you mention attention.

    ReplyDelete