Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 10, 2011

It is hot and humid tonight.  Yesterday the studio peaked near 100 degrees F.  And because of the heat I have chosen this awesome Vintage Mexican Embroidered dress.  Ironically it came from my Swedish Grandmother and not my Mexican one. 
 
I have been doing alot of art coaching lately and in one of my meetings we have been talking about irony in art.  Humor and metaphor can be a great mix, often overlooked, or over worked.  I am thinking about perhaps playing with this...
 
I have also been talking with several artists whose work is very language based, words, words appearing from negative space in words, language as a temporal medium vs. a permanent one, language, words, language, words... I am not usually a fan of words in art...why?  To literal? 
 
I am reminded of the Modest Mouse lyrics for the song "Blame it on the Tetons" :
 
Language is the liquid that we are all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates a problem
 
on another note, I am henceforth declaring my love for all things circus and have started in my oh so modest way to collect vintage circus costumes. This lovely corset is from the 1950's.  I love that it has hand beaded fleur de lis on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment